Sunday, June 7, 2009

Learning the hard way part duex

One thing I have learned about life after 51 years is it is always changing, amazing, frustrating and non personal. You can take it personally, but stuff just happens. You have little to no control over it. You might think that you do, but ..... well I know I don't.
So when after a long 12 hour shift in the surgical ICU where I work, and anticipating another 2 in a row the next 2 nights, I was with great... weariness that I got a call no sailor wants. "Come to the Marina now your boat is taking on water."

Every year the Corpus Christi municipal marina puts on the Texas Boat show. They like the nice new docks, like the one we are berthed at. I knew we would have to move for it when I took the slip. But now, at the beginning of May, with tanks not yet installed batteries moved, and a general chaos inside, was not the time.
But move we did, to a slip that had shore power that was incompatible with our cord. But it would only be for a short while I told my self. Less that a week later my boat was sinking. Electrolysis. Ate thru a thru hull that was closest to the shore power connection. After pumping out thousands of gallons of water, we towed the boat to the lift out, where we had a agonizing wait for the one small hoist we have here. finally Sarah Claire was lifted out, blocked and stands were placed. I left for much needed sleep. Returning in the morning I thought to start the repair. I need not have bothered. Seems with the boat show in town no one could work on her and I was forbidden by the marina to step foot on board. As I was removing my soaked cushions, tools, and gear, I was kicked off. Now I am a do it your self guy. I believe in anything someone else can do, I can do it to, maybe better. and even if not better, it will be done to my specs. There are millions of stories of sailors, homeowners and people of all kinds with stories of shoddy workmanship, poor thought, scams, fraud ect. But the real reason is that I like doing it, and fined it imperative that I know how to when I am off shore or in a remote location and need to repair my or someone Else's boat.
So now 38 days later she is still on the hard, waiting for insurance to pay the first part of the repair work. All thru hulls where replaced with Marelon by forespar. No more electrolysis problems. The cutlass bearing was replaced, the hull treated with 3 coats of coppershield scx45
and now we wait. The work done so far has been great. The people doing it professional. The cost, high.
The engine was under water for a short time, the inverter. All my new tanks, some wiring. 7 of my 8 6 volt 220 amp batteries, my feestool vac, tools, etc.
Some of the bulkheads were sanded prior to varnishing and are probably toast. The sole was coated with 6 coats of interlux perfection a premium 2 part varnish. So it should hold up well. But the thing is I don't know yet till the boat is out of the yard and back in the water.
More on this later.
That is where we stand now. All summer plans are off. I miss working on her. So I work more at my job, anticipating a ton of work this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment